PDA

View Full Version : Customer Bar Codes

PC Butler
April 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi All,

We are intrested in using this product in our store to tack customer units and information.

Just a couple of quick questions.

1) Can anyone advise if we are able to generate custom bar codes that we can then print on a label and affix to customer units that will link the asset to the customer. So that when the customer was to return to the store as a repeat client, all we would have to do is scan the bar code and it populate all the relevant details in a new ticket. Such as client contact information and systen details?

2) Is the anyway that when creating a new ticket for a new customer/asset that when the + sign is selected that the asset window open to the vendor manufacture tab as aposed to the new asset window?

I have gone into opptions and made the vendor tab the default to open from the asset tab but i fear this is probably a (form show command with in the program).

Many thanks in advance.

Support Team
April 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks for posting these questions. I’ve copied them for easy reference, and attached relevant answers below. Please review.

Can anyone advise if we are able to generate custom bar codes that we can then print on a label and affix to customer units that will link the asset to the customer. So that when the customer was to return to the store as a repeat client, all we would have to do is scan the bar code and it populate all the relevant details in a new ticket; such as client contact information and system details?
Sure; we have a KB article which details how to create asset labels, complete with barcodes! For more information regarding this topic, please click here. Let us know if you have additional questions on this topic.

Is the anyway that when creating a new ticket for a new customer/asset that when the + sign is selected that the asset window open to the vendor manufacture tab as apposed to the new asset window?
The window displayed by the + icon in the assets line can only open the New Asset window, which you need to enter the vital information into the database from, in order to have the Asset logged in the database. Once that window is closed, you can go ahead and log additional Asset information from the Assets (will be opened to the tab you've selected in the options box) screen once you've finished creating your ticket.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Neta

techie
May 27th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I have a feature request: automatic generation of bar code numbers for the asset code field.

I have just started evaluating the software and I would like to click a "Generate" button that would create a fresh bar code that I can use to identify an asset that comes into the shop. An algorithm based on date and time that also checks for existing barcodes would be great.

Also, could you point me to a KB article or forum thread that explains how to setup a check-in confirmation form for a customer that drops off a computer?

Ideal workflow for check-in:
1) Customer walks into the store and drops off a laptop.
2) Reception enters customer information and asset info intoCommitCRM.
3) Reception prints an asset tag (label printer) with automatically generated barcode number and attaches to laptop
4) Reception prints a confirmation form for customer to take home.

Support Team
May 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hi Techie,

Thanks for posting this.
I've created a feature request to add a button which generates a random number for the Asset Code field. I've added your comments as well as a vote on your behalf, to be reviewed by the Product Management Team. For now, we suggest using scripting software like AutoIT to create a script which automatically takes the date and time and calculates a random code. Once you set up the script, you can compile it to exe, and assign a keyboard shortcut via windows explorer.

We don't have a KB article that discusses how to create the specific form you're after; however, you can take any report in RangerMSP and customize it to have empty lines, rather than data that is in the database. If you make such a report by customizing the Technician Service Form 1, you should be able to customize it to your own business needs.

For more information regarding Reports Designer, please click the following links:

Reports Designer User Guide
Reports FAQ

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rinat

techie
May 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I hope that the feature gets integrated soon. We are still evaluating the software and like it so far.

Support Team
June 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Techie,

We’ve come up with another suggestion regarding your request for the unique barcodes, perhaps it’ll prove more useful to your workflow. The system generates a unique Record ID code for each asset, which can be used to encode your barcodes. If you use RangerMSP to print Asset Labels for your assets based on the Rec ID, then you’ll be able to print them without using external scripts or needing to even enter a code, since this Rec ID code is automatically generated upon Asset creation.

For more information regarding Asset Labels with Barcodes, please click here.

Just remember to associate the Asset – Record ID field to the barcode when you’re creating the Label Layout.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Reno

techie
June 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Hi Reno,

Thanks for the tip. Couple of things that would make this nicer:

1) Ability to print the label directly from the New Ticket entry
2) A way to make the barcode (or Record ID) smaller. The Record ID is very long and I have to use a 4" wide label to get the whole thing to fit. 2" would be ideal.

Ken

Support Team
June 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hi Ken,

Re #1: It's already supported :-)

Customize the Asset Details report so it'll become the Asset barcode report (Keep its name prefix "Asset Details ..." ) something like "Asset Details Barcode Label".

Now, from the Toolbar on the Tickets Window you have a Print/Print-Preview drop down. Click it and it lists all available reports, including customized "Asset Details..." reports (if you've just created a new report reopen the Tickets window so it'll appear).

When selecting the new "Asset Details ..." report from the Ticket window it'll automatically filter this report (Asset Details Barcode..." to the Asset selected to the currently selected Ticket.

Re #2: Noted. Thanks.

Dina