PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Barcode Scanners?

jamesejr
July 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
I am interested in looking for good, working, recommended bardcode scanners that will work with CommitCRM. Is there a list of devices that work with the CommitCRM software or how would I shop around for one that will get the job done?

wtbservices
July 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
I haven't tried CommitCRM specifically but I would think any would work. They enter the bar code data in the same way that a keyboard does. Just about any field that you can type in you can scan to. That being said we like the Symbol Technologies line of scanners because they are more durable but significantly more expensive.

There are three things to consider before buying a bar code scanner.
1. The cable, some brands do not include the cable that runs from the scanner to the computer so check first.

2. Decoding capability. Make sure the scanner can decode the type of bar code you need to scan.

3. Depth of field. You can buy a $30 scanner but to scan a bar code you have to hold the scanner no further than 1 inch away. Many will also list the pitch, roll and yaw tolerances that refer to how straight and level you need to hold the scanner in relation to the bar code. You usually don't have to worry about these unless you are planning on scanning from several feet away.

If you are considering a bar code scanner get a cheap one first and see if it does what you hope it will do. Most people hope it will speed up data entry but it wont unless the application you are using is designed for it. For instance, if you are planning on using it in CommitCRM to enter product charges you can't just open the ticket and scan the products. You have to go through all of the normal steps.
Right click, new product charge, scan, type in the quantity, save and close.
Unless your product codes are very long it won't save you much time.

Hope this helps.