PDA

View Full Version : Why is Labor Name copied to Charge Description?

mcbsys
July 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to understand why the Labor Name field is copied to to the top of the Description field for every charge. I have assumed that it was needed for some reason and have been typing the description of the charge below the Labor Name. As far as I can see, this has only negative consequences:

- When looking at a ticket's Charges tab, every charge has the same Description and Charged Item, making this view pretty much useless.

- If I print an Account Charges report, for example, both "Charged Item: Name" and "Charges Description" prints, so the Charged Item Name is duplicated for each charge.

Am I supposed to be deleting the Charged Item Name from the Charge Description each time I create a charge? Why is it being put there in the first place?

Mark

Support Team
July 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your question. Actually, when selecting an item for the charge, the item description is the field which is copied into the charge description. In many cases, the item name and description are identical, but this doesn't need to be this way. In the Item window, you can edit the Item's description (make sure to un-check the 'By Name' option next to the Description field in order to make it editable).

The idea is that you can enter a short "template" description in the item description, and when using it for a charge, you will already have the description in the charge. You can then adjust it to fit this specific charge - this can save you time when entering the charge. In any case, the charge description may contain any text you wish, so you can feel free to override the item description when you do not need it.

I hope this makes more sense now.

Doron

mcbsys
July 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Okay thanks. I had left the Item Description as the default (By Name checked). I will blank out Item Description or enter some text to remind me to customize the text.

Mark