PDA

View Full Version : CommitCRM on Linux?!

PepperedEggs
June 2nd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been using CommitCRM and so far very pleased however I can not find any resource to run this application on a linux distro.

I can get CommitCRM running fairly well using WINE however it does crash when I use anything related to charges.

Is there a plan to make a release of CommitCRM that can run on linux without the need of being emulated via WINE?

Thanks

Jason

Support Team
June 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hi PepperedEggs,

RangerMSP is basically a windows application. If you plan on using any of its server-based services (for the Web Interface, Email Connector or Alerts Server), you should install the server files on a Windows machine (the services run as standard Windows services).

I can tell you that working with the application itself over WINE and having the files installed on a Linux machine may work for you, however, this is not officially supported by us and we do not recommend on working this way. I know that it can create some unexpected results and even database corruption.

I recommend on using a dedicated Windows PC (you do not need a server for this, any PC with XP, or even Vista will do - see the system requirements here) in order to install the RangerMSP server files.

I hope this helps!

Neta

PepperedEggs
June 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I thought as much, I have a Virtual Machine running windows XP pro and use CommitCRM from within that to access the server but would be nice to run the app client from within a linux environment. I take it there's no plan for this?

Thanks

Jason

Support Team
June 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I guess that doing it this way (having the server installed on Windows and running the client from Linux over WINE) will work fine. We do have users who have managed to do this, however, as mentioned, this is not officially supported. We may consider enhancing this and officially supporting such configuration in the future, depending on the demand for such a configuration. At the moment, most users work with a windows environment... Thanks for providing us your feedback on this!

Neta

russtebo
June 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I would also be interested in having a client that runs in Linux. For those who have got this to work successfully, can you post a quick guide on how you did it?

vsouthmayd
July 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
Another possible solution if you need multiple users could be to load either XEN, virtualbox, or even Citrix Xenserver on a central server, load indidivdual XP VMs dedicated to running CommitCRM and any other Windows apps for each user. Then just RDP to those XP VMs from your linux machines. There would be no reason why the same VM server could not host your CommitCRM Server apps since each VM is a separate Windows load.

We are playing with this as an alternative to using the web interface when out of the office. If you are looking at Internet access for techs, using a vpn like openvpn and tunneling the RDP session for security would be a good idea.

Vernon Southmayd
Creative Computing

digitalminds
July 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
We use VMWare ESXi (http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/) to visualize Windows XP Pro for multiple users and works very well. Users can Remote Desktop to the virtual machines from Linux, OS X and Windows.

jtfinley
July 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
We also do this as digitalminds has stated.