PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I delete a Employee/User?

carmen
May 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Is there any way to completely delete a User/Employee without just marking them as inactive? I want the entire field gone bc I messed up adding a User. Anyone got suggestions?

Support Team
May 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hi carmen, due to data integrity considerations, employees cannot be deleted, and there is no other way to remove it besides the one you mentioned. What you can do is set it as inactive and rename it to "For future use" or something like this, and in the future, when you take in a new employee, you can reuse this record and rename it to the new employee's name and details.

That oughtta do it.

Ethan

nattivillin
June 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I know this is old, but is there a way to permanently hide an inactive employee? Or could we link all their activity to another employee then delete them? This would be the better option. We could assign all their old stuff to our system user.

We got rid of a few people int he last 2 years and i'm tired of seeing their names in the list.

AN-Tech
June 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I can understand that deleting an employee could cause some issues in the database with records that were associated with them. Another way of doing it might be to have an option that hides inactive employees from lists. Then for the most part you wouldn't see the old employee and it would still show the correct information when looking at old tickets and such.

WWhitehead
June 5th, 2011, 12:52 PM
It would be great if you could hide all inactive accounts as well, then you can still keep customer or supplier information, but again don't have to see it listed all the time.

Support Team
June 6th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Deleting an employee will indeed break the data integrity as employee records are link to almost any type of record.
You can rename the inactive employees to "zzzE1", "zzzE2", or anything you like, you will not see their original name anymore and you can keep a "translation" table who is who. Start it with "zzz" so when displaying the employees list they'll be displayed at the end.

Hope this helps.
Sheli

AN-Tech
June 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I would much rather keep the tickets showing who actually did what. I don't mind seeing the name of old employees, I just want to keep lists visibly clean with only current data. Please consider adding a "hide inactive" from menus option in a future release. This would be helpful for employees as well as accounts and contacts.

This could work just like how the items have a suspended option. When you mark an item as suspended it no longer shows up when adding charges. Then you also have a hide suspended items checkbox on the item list to make it only show active items.

Or it could work similar to contacts which have an option for Active, Suspended, etc. When adding a contract to tickets and charges the dropdown only shows active contacts.

Or you also have a similar option for Assets by being able to hide non-active assets.

Looks like you have it all over the place inCommitCRM. Just need to do the same for employees, accounts, and secondary contacts.

Thanks